Monday, August 20

Day 233: Simple Math

One of the things I really love about shadows is the simple fact that if you are outdoors and you see a shadow, it is an indication of a sky full of sunshine. And if there is a sky full of sunshine, then you can most definitely find me on my bike. Okay... maybe not year round in Sweden. Check back with me in the winter when it is -15 Celsius and there are shadows and a sky full of sunshine around but no GA on her bike. Or if there is a GA on her bike you may not recognize her as she will be covered from head to toe in insulation. We can chat again then but for now shadows = sunshine + bicycles. It's simple math folks and simple math that I like.

Today as I was riding along the water and rounding the bend near Gamla Stan I noticed that my shadow was riding happily along side me. My morning traveling companion. We were in sync as we pedaled along, enjoying the soft breeze blowing against our faces. Other cyclists whizzed past us and I wondered why they were in such a hurry. I mean, my morning ride to work is one of the best parts of my day. I don't want to rush it. Work will be there when I get there and besides who wants to be in a hurry to get to work? Maybe I have the wrong idea but it feels right to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak, to be able to take my time and enjoy the beauty of the city that I live in. As me and my shadow ride "our" bikes to work.

The nice part too about seeing my shadow in front of me is that this means the sun is shining behind me and not into my eyes. It's so nice to enjoy the feeling of warmth on my back like a soft cape draped around my shoulders. Once winter arrives, the nights will be long and the days short and the moments of seeing my shadow as I ride to work will be blanketed in darkness. So for now, I will enjoy every moment of riding along to work, with my shadow in tow.

Here are a few photos of shadows minus their bicycles: Floating

Pretty cool, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment