Monday, September 3

Day 247: Fresh Figs

If you've ever wondered if sliced fresh figs would be good on your morning cereal, I'm here to tell you that, yes, it is a brilliant idea and it is absolutely delicious. Especially if you toss together some bran flakes, a handful of muesli with dried apples, dates and hazelnuts and a sprinkling of honey-scented quinoa puffs to serve as their bed. I sliced the figs in thick chunks, laid them like jewels atop the cereal blend, poured milk carefully over them and then sunk my spoon into the bowl, making sure to get a bite of fig with each mouthful.

It felt like such a decadent breakfast for a slow, sleepy Monday morning and one that I felt I earned and deserved. I have always been a fan of fresh figs as far back as I can remember. My grandmother had fig trees in her yard and when they were in season we always reaped some of the benefits too. And though I prefer them fresh, even fig jam is a delicacy that I find perfectly acceptable. Just spoon a heaping mound onto your cheese plate with salted almonds and a glass of bubbly champagne on the side. It doesn't get much better than that.

I remember some years back when I was working in a southern French, Northern Italian inspired tapas restaurant that we served a flatbread with fresh figs and pancetta that could put me in a coma. It was so amazing that my mouth waters now just thinking about it. I don't eat ham anymore but if given the option to sink my teeth into one of those flatbread again I may have to just close my eyes and go for it. Pretend it is fakon (fake bacon). It could work. I'll just focus on the figs.

These beauties will be on my cereal tomorrow morning too. I can hardly wait!

Check out these figs on Pinterest: Figs

No comments:

Post a Comment