Sunday, April 29

Day 120: I Love to Ride My Bicycle

"I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!"

I thought of this song today while my husband and I were out riding our bikes on this lovely, lovely spring day. This song by Queen is such a happy, upbeat song. It makes me want to ride really, really fast with the wind blowing in my hair and the sun beating down on my face. Today it was close to 15 degrees Celsius (almost 60 degrees Fahrenheit), which for Sweden is actually quite warm when the sun is shining. At one point during our ride I even took my jacket off and road just in my long-sleeved, t-shirt and polar-fleece vest. My ears were a tiny bit cold but I managed. It was just so nice to finally be able to shuck the jacket. 

We left our apartment for our first ride since we washed our bikes and replaced the winter tires with summer tires and headed south on Timmermansgatan. When the road ended we headed east and eventually road over the very, tall bridge connecting Södermalm to Årstaberg. No cars travel across this bridge, only trains and pedestrians. The last time we road across this bridge it was during the height of winter when everything was covered with snow. We road with our snow tires and insulated pants and as we looked out over the bridge to the water below we saw people ice fishing and walking on the ice. My husband suggested that we ride across the frozen water on the way back but I said no. I may have told him he was crazy as well but I don't remember. 

Anyway, today when we looked out over the bridge we saw boats in the water. No ice to be seen. That alone was enough to make me happy but with the sun shining down on us and a soft, gentle breeze blowing I was truly in heaven. On the way home I suggested that we stop by the ice cream shop by our apartment for an ice cream. I saw two guys walking out of the shop with cones and it looked very enticing.  At first my husband said no but when I suggested just one little scoop he gave in. It was a hard sell. In the end however we decided to keep that treat for another day when it is warm enough to actually need an ice cream cone, not just want one. I'll be sure to let you know when that day has arrived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment