Friday, April 27

Day 118: Going With the Flow

Do you ever go shopping to buy presents for friends or family and suddenly find all sorts of things for yourself? Then on the days you go shopping just for yourself you never find a thing. Sigh. Sometimes you just have to give in and go with the flow. So I did. After work today I headed over to the Galleria to pick up a couple of gifts. I bought orange jeans, grey pants and a cream-colored, spring sweater for myself. Hey! I was going with the flow. I also picked up a couple of gifts. (One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me...)

Anyway, on my commute to work this morning I had an epiphany. I suddenly realized that the flow of commuters traveling by subway is like the mad, thrashing flow of a rushing river. The current is strong and sometimes wild. If you try to fight it, you get beaten up by obstacles along the way. If you let go and go with the flow however, everything moves along with ease, like a well-oiled machine.

It barely even requires your attention. You can use your peripheral vision and walk along while checking Facebook or email on your smart phone and flow right with the mad, rush of commuters. It is almost as good as listening to music to drown out the "noise". I started my day out going with the flow and ended my day going with the flow. It makes things feel more calm and simple. I will admit however that my going with the flow after work was much more enjoyable. Think I'll "go with the flow" some more this weekend (wink, wink).

No comments:

Post a Comment