Monday, October 8

Day 282: In the Proximity of Beautiful Things

Every year around this time, which happens to be around the time of my birthday, my husband begins asking me what I want for a birthday present. And every year as soon as I am asked that question, my first reply is usually "nothing, surprise me." And then it's as if a magic birthday-present-idea-portal opens up and I suddenly want everything in sight. Does that ever happen to you? I think part of it has to do with the time of year. I absolutely love the fall, in case you didn't already know, and pretty much everything about the fall. I love fall colors, fall clothing, fall food and I always have loved shopping so of course I love everything out in the shops right about now. This is also about the time of year I start doing my Christmas shopping. I buy one for them, one for me, one for them, one for me. I'm sort of kidding. But just sort of. I start to find cool ideas for gifts and I think, "I'd love one of those too."

Tell me I'm not the only person who does this. If I don't actually buy two of a certain thing, I've even been known to keep the one thing for myself because I fall so madly in love with it and cannot bear to part with it. Silly and pathetic and materialistic, I know. It's as if I am a kid in a candy or toy store. For the most part however, I am happy with just wanting them and I don't feed the need to actually have them. Okay, maybe some of them but certainly not all if them. Sometimes I have a rule for myself when I come across something I think I can't live without. I make myself wait several days, maybe even a week, and then I go back and look at it, try it on, feel it, love it, stare at it etc. If I still cannot live without it I put it on my wish list. If it happens to be something I'm afraid may sell out, I bite the bullet and buy it right then.

But really, the craving of all of these wonderful things is half of the fun. I love to walk into my favorite stores where everything I see is eye candy. I love to pick something up and imagine where it could fit into our home, or how I could use it. I become energized when I see all of the beautiful things and it truly gives me a certain joy and happiness just to be in their proximity.

No comments:

Post a Comment