Thursday, July 19

Day 201: Smile Out Loud

"Postcard...
Send a hole to see the sky through - 64" - Yoko Ono

Trying to come up with my topic today, I decided to open a book to a random page and then write about whatever my finger landed on. The book happened to be Yoko Ono's book, "Grapefruit," and the page I opened to had the above quoted line written on it, with a drawing of a postcard illustrating how to send a postcard with a hole cut out so the person could look at the sky through the hole. I love random, quirky things like this and Yoko Ono's book is filled with hundreds of whimsical ideas and art projects just like this one. A great gift for any artists or budding artists that you might know.

Her work is inspirational and at the same time makes me laugh at the silliness of it. She obviously gets a kick out of life and explores the world through the happy, whimsical eyes of childlike innocence as well as those of a person full of worldly insight. Some of her ideas cause me to laugh out loud, nearly loud enough for all the world to hear, while others make me smile and chuckle to myself. This one however made me smile out loud with a mischievous, gleeful eye.

So I am doing it. I have made a post card, cut a hole out and I am mailing it to a random friend. I know that this person will also see the whimsy and fun in looking at the sky through a hole in a postcard. I love this idea so much that I may even start putting holes in all of the postcards I mail from now on.

Yoko's whimsical eye...


Green grape...


My birds eye perspective...


No comments:

Post a Comment