Wednesday, June 27

Day 179: Early Morning Banana Bread

I can't even believe I did it but I am so glad that I did. I got up at six fifteen a.m. this morning to bake banana bread so that my husband and I could each take some to work to eat for breakfast. Awesome, right? It was pretty awesome even if I say so myself and you have no idea how scrumptuli-icious it was! I actually made some not too long ago and, if I remember correctly, it vanished rather quickly. I guess I forgot how delicious homemade, banana bread is. Mmmmm.

Normally bananas don't last long enough in our apartment to be retired into bread. If my husband gets ahold of them they usually end up in the freezer for a future life as a smoothie. Lucky for me, we get a fruit basket at work which has never been completely eaten up in the year and a half that I have been there. So I brought home some over-ripe bananas from work and announced that banana bread was in their near future. This was met with a small shout of joy. Who knew it was so loved? When it came time for baking however, there was a struggle between standing half asleep in the kitchen while trying to measure ingredients, or going to bed, albeit very early. Sleep won. We were both in our PJ's and reading in bed by just after nine p.m. and asleep by ten p.m. It was so nice.

I must say that getting up that early to bake banana bread wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Before morning arrived I half thought the banana bread making might have to wait until this afternoon. I am not generally a morning person by nature but I will say that it was really nice to be up so early and have that extra time this morning. Kitty got a little more attention than normal, I was not rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off getting ready for work and banana bread got baked. Maybe going to bed earlier and getting up earlier will become a new habit? We'll see. Perhaps if there's banana bread involved. Nothing like food to motivate me.

Here is the recipe if you are interested. Just click below on "Banana Bread"

Banana Bread

I made a couple of alterations:

I used half regular and half brown sugar
I added an extra banana, mostly because I had four very ripe ones and didn't want to freeze the fourth one
I added two tablespoons of plain, greek yogurt to the wet ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment