Sunday, June 17

Day 169: Thank God for Stretch Denim

"Be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Ghandi

I was on the bus today on my way to pick up a few early Christmas presents. Yes, I know, disgusting isn't it? I like to start early because I absolutely hate shopping for Christmas presents at the last minute. It also makes me feel like I am not spending as much money if I spread it out a bit. But anyway, back to my story. There I was, riding the bus. It was because I was sitting in a seat that faced backwards that I saw it. The quote above, that is. It was displayed on a flag that was above one of the places of business next to Gamla Stan (the old town area). I'd read it before but seeing it again today affected me in a completely different way. 

Today when I read this quote I felt like I actually am doing what Ghandi suggests. I AM being the change I want to see in the world. In choosing to find happy every day for 365 consecutive days, I am beginning the process for a daily habit that I hope will remain with me for the rest of my life. Being happy is a state of mind and it is also a choice. If everyone of us, all across the world, all across the variety of different cultural views and beliefs, just decided to be happy, to choose happy, the world as we know it would change. It would become a brighter and happier place for all of us.

It doesn't matter what kind of day I am having, I can always find some, small glimmer of happy in it. Some days it is easy and I barely have to make an effort and some days it is like struggling to pull on a pair of jeans that are two sizes too small. But thank God for stretch denim, right? 

So my request to you today is that you also start to be the change you want to see in the world. Start small and remember it only takes that first, small step. The ones after it become easier and easier. Change is not impossible but it does take perseverance. 

Have a happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment