Thursday, November 22

Day 327: A Beautiful Place

"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place." - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanksgiving is a good day to remember things like Kurt Vonnegut's quote above. I find that it is much easier as I get older to fall into the trap of feeling cynical and angry. I've lived that much longer to experience some of the unpleasant things that life can dish out and it gets more and more difficult to have what they call, "the beginner's mind," or an openness to life's possibilities even in the face of destruction and pain. There are all kinds of quotes out there to remind us not to take the bad things too seriously but I know myself that sometimes it is just easier to give in to them and be a big old grumpy bear. And we all know how much fun it is to be around that person.

My husband and I often joke about how we plan to be grumpy when we get older, claiming that by then we will have earned it and will deserve to be as grumpy and crotchety as we want. It sounds fair, right? We also joke about dressing ourselves however we want (in our most raggedy clothes) and doing (farting) and saying (yelling at random strangers) whatever we feel like. We joke about it now but the reality of that happening is really pretty scary, don't you think? How much more pleasant would the world be if, by the time I reach a ripe old age, if I happen to be lucky enough to reach one, I am not a grumpy person but a kind, gentle person who has seen both the hard and soft things in life but chooses to live on the softer side? I'll tell you, much more pleasant. 

So this Thanksgiving, I will try to be softer in my thinking and speaking and remember that the world truly is a beautiful place. I will remember the wonderful relationships I have with my family and friends. I will remember the incredible opportunities that I have had in my life thus far, and still have awaiting me down the road. I will remember the joys as well as the sorrows and be thankful for them all, for they have shaped me into the person that I am today. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Now let's all go get softer around the middle and eat some pie!

 Pumpkin pie made with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment