Sunday, February 5

Day 36: Super Bowl (Sunday)

I started receiving the Whole Foods newsletter about a year or so ago. A friend of mine had forwarded me one of the newsletters she had received with an interesting recipe and I decided to sign up for it myself. Why not? I love Whole Foods and reading their newsletter would be a good way to stay connected to one of my favorite grocery stores in the states. Plus I get great ideas for meals when I am running out of steam in the kitchen or need a new idea for something quick and healthy. Some time in January their newsletter focused on the theme of "healthy bowls". They discussed making a healthy meal by building a bowl of grains or pastas, veggies, proteins and then adding different sauces. They listed several different themes ranging from Mexican to Asian to Mediterranean and more. Part of their planning was to provide ideas for meals that were healthy and could be prepared at a low cost. Saving pocket books and waistlines. What a fabulous idea. The first bowl I tried was an Asian bowl with rice noodles, carrots, snow peas, fake chicken, lime and cilantro topped with peanut sauce and it was delicious.

Food is one of my passions. I love to eat, as you all know from one of my previous posts called The Art of Eating (Day 4). So it was merely coincidental that I decided to make a bowl meal today. We will be having burrito bowls made with brown rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, sour cream, salsa and maybe a handful of tortilla chips. Can you say Ole? So, while most of America will be watching the Super Bowl on TV today, we will be feasting on our own Super Bowl. Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment