Wednesday, December 12

Day 347: Little Women

It isn't that often that I read a book and catch myself smiling out loud as I'm reading, but the current one I'm reading is so nice and pleasant that I just cannot help but smile. And I have caught myself smiling over and over and over again. I must be doing it unconsciously because shortly after it happens I notice the upturned corners of my mouth, and I just have to chuckle to myself. The book is Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. I can't believe I've never read it before but in a way I am actually happy for it because I'm enjoying the story so much now. It is a lovely book to read this time of year, despite a few sad things that take place in the book. For the most part however, I would easily classify it as a feel good read. I have only a few chapters left to read before I reach the end but I feel I can already say that Little Women will be one of my favorite books of all time.

The amazing thing about Little Women is the fact that it was written back in the later part of the 1800's and, though styles have changed and we life a more modernized life today, the emotional issues faced in the book are the same situations we go through and face today. Our fears, anxieties, loves, hopes and dreams may change in the manner of context from the 1800's but they remain the same types of challenges and struggles as modern day.

Another thing that I really love about Little Women is the fact that it takes place over the course of many years so the reader gets to follow the girls' lives as they grow from young girls, only referred to as little women, into true little women. Because of this aspect of the book, I wonder if I will feel satisfied at the end of the book or if I will still long to know more about their lives. With many books I have read I find that I continue to long for the characters long after the book has ended. The good news is that I believe there is another book that is a continuation of at least one of the little women's lives.

If you haven't read Little Women I highly recommend it. The story did not draw me in immediately but I believe that was partly due to the fact that it was written in an old-fashioned English so stick with it and don't lose hope. Hey, you could even give it as a Christmas gift to your daughter, your sister, your best friend or even your mother. It is a beautifully written classic novel and I think everyone needs to read at least one classic in their lives.


1 comment:

  1. Kaley can't believe you've never read it. Actually, we just finished reading it recently- a chapter a night. She said she "loved how sweet the sisters were to each other- even though it is sad about one of the sisters. It is just a sweet book."
    And that is the critique of a 7yr old.

    ReplyDelete