Monday, December 10

Day 345: A Wonderful, Christmas-Inspired Recipe

In keeping with the notion of a cozy Monday, I'm going to share a wonderful, Christmas-inspired recipe with you today. A recipe that makes my mouth water just thinking about it. What might that recipe be for? Gingerbread, of course. Who doesn't love a gooey, moist square of spicy gingerbread with a glass of ice cold milk? Gingerbread cookies are wonderful too but they just don't compare to the soft, spongy texture and warmth of freshly baked gingerbread. Last winter one of my book club friends made this delicious concoction for our book club gathering and I am pretty sure I ate at least two pieces. I probably wanted more but didn't want to be rude so instead I asked for the recipe.

For some reason I never got around to making it back then. It's unfortunate because it really is like heaven and angels singing when you sink your teeth into it. I plan to make it this weekend and while I was looking for the recipe I thought I would share it with you here today. Because if anything supports a cozy day, it is definitely homemade, fresh out of the oven gingerbread.


The Ingredients:
  • 150g butter
  • 200g golden syrup
  • 200g black molasses
  • 125g dark muscovado sugar
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 250ml full-fat milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten 
  • 300g plain flour
The Directions:

Preheat your oven to 170°C and line your baking dish (approx. 30cm x 20cm x 5cm) with parchment paper.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat along with the sugar, syrup, molasses, fresh and ground gingers, cinnamon and cloves.

Remove saucepan from the heat, and add the milk, eggs and dissolved bicarbonate of soda in its water.

Measure the flour into a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, mixing until well blended. It will be a very liquid batter, so don’t worry. This is part of what makes it sticky later.

Pour it into your prepared baking pan and bake for 45–60 minutes until risen and firm on top. Try not to overcook, as it is nicer a little stickier, and it will continue to cook slightly as it cools.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow the gingerbread to cool in the pan before cutting it into squares. 

(Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson)


Notes from my friend:  

"I used white syrup instead of golden syrup and "Mörk sirap" for the molasses (This note is for Swedish readers).  I also used way more fresh ginger, maybe double or so?  I like it really spicy. (I also like to double the spices in baked goods so I will definitely follow her advice here). And I think I added about 1/2 tsp more nutmeg too.  I used baking paper to line the cake pan, and it worked like a charm."  

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I did and as much as I plan to. I don't know if I will be able to wait until it is cooled to slice into it myself. I usually cannot wait to taste-test shortly after I take it out of the oven. I may try to contain myself this time however, as the last time I baked brownies I actually allowed them to cool far longer than my normal tolerance and would you believe they were actually much easier to cut in even, non-crumbly squares? They were even still somewhat warm so I was able to have the satisfaction of that fresh out of the oven slice. With a glass of cold milk.

Hope you enjoy! Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I've never made it...but love it! Will try! I made some tollhouse cookies, and some cranberry lemon scones last week....mmmm mmm! But I love gingersnaps and gingerbread even more! In the uk I get ginger wine and a pepper/ginger concoction I add with lemonade and its a fantastic spritzer!! Take care and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Debbie! Tollhouse cookies and cranberry lemon scones sound amazing, as does your spritzer! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete